Tuesday, September 19, 2006

GHOSTS

John Alexander is probably the leading authority on the Ghost stories of Washington, DC.....of which there are many. John has a great ear for a good story, so naturally I was flattered that he would ask me to participate in a book he was writing. (This goes back a long way....it was the 70's, I believe). I became John's official photographer for the book. What a hoot! We walked over 100 miles of Capitol landmarks.....wandered through old abandaned building and houses....and cemetaries....searching the National archives......doing research and taking pictures.

Life is GOOD.....when you have interesting friends like John Alexander.

Anyway........the book became a fantastic success. It was, and probably still is, being sold at most National Parks nationwide.

A lot of people have asked me about the picture on the Cover of John's book. It's a very dramatic picture.........and not one that's easy to forget. It is of a tombstone in an old cemetary in Georgetown......(part of DC). John and I were looking for a particular tomb....when I came upon that sad face.....with the one hundred and fifty year old weather beaten raindrop/tears.

I can only imagine the sadness suffered by the family of the little boy..........the name last name was "Randall".....I did a little research....and discovered that the father was a reporter for one of the New York papers....and he lived at the "Arlington House.."

That's about all I learned. I didn't even need to know that.

To me......it's just a reminder...that life is full of great happiness................and great sadness.

Remind me to tell you about the Lincoln Chair.....at that same cemetary.....which is Oak Hill......near Dunbarton Oaks in Georgetown.



PHOTOGRAPHY

I've always had a special love for photography. As a kid, I remember thinking what a miracle it was that you could capture a moment in time..........in such a way.

But, like most of my hobbies, I ran hot and cold....and never had much of a plan, or method....so over the years, I got a few good shots.....and missed a whole lot of great moments.......so...as I run across some that I like, I'll post a few. These are from my many trips to NY City in the 80's:







Site Meter